Lift ev'ry voice and sing
'Til earth and heaven ring
Ring with the harmonies of Liberty
Let our rejoicing rise
High as the list'ning skies
Let it resound loud as the rolling sea
Sing a song full of the faith that the dark past has taught us
Sing a song full of the hope that the present has brought us
Facing the rising sun of our new day begun
Let us march on 'til victory is won
Lift Every Voice and Sing, a song famously performed by Kirk Franklin, is a powerful anthem that resonates with people of all backgrounds and beliefs. This timeless hymn holds a deep meaning, inspiring listeners to embrace faith, hope, and unity.
1. The Meaning and Significance of Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lift Every Voice and Sing is a song that embodies resilience, perseverance, and the strength of the human spirit. It serves as a call to unite and lift our voices together in praise, regardless of our circumstances. The lyrics encourage individuals to rise above their struggles and embrace the hope that comes from a deep faith in God. It is a rallying cry for justice, freedom, and equality, urging listeners to stand firm in their convictions and work towards a better future.
2. The Story Behind Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lift Every Voice and Sing was originally written as a poem by James Weldon Johnson in 1900. Johnson, an African-American writer, composed the poem to celebrate Abraham Lincoln's birthday and to honor the struggles and triumphs of the African-American community. The poem was later set to music by his brother John Rosamond Johnson, creating the iconic hymn we know today.
The song gained significant popularity during the civil rights movement of the 1960s when it became a powerful anthem for activists fighting for racial equality. Its lyrics resonated deeply with those seeking justice and served as a source of hope and encouragement during a tumultuous time in American history.
3. Lift Every Voice and Sing and Biblical References
The inspiration behind Lift Every Voice and Sing can be found in several biblical passages that speak to the themes of faith, resilience, and unity. Here are a few key verses that relate to the message of the song:
- Isaiah 40:31: "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." This verse reminds us that placing our hope in God gives us the strength to endure and overcome any challenges we may face.
- Galatians 3:28: "There is neither Jew nor Gentile, neither slave nor free, nor is there male and female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus." Lift Every Voice and Sing echoes the sentiment of unity found in this verse, emphasizing that we are all equal in the eyes of God and should stand together as one.
- Psalm 98:4: "Shout for joy to the Lord, all the earth, burst into jubilant song with music." This verse encourages us to lift our voices in praise and worship, just as the song urges us to lift our voices in unity and celebration.
4. The Impact of Lift Every Voice and Sing
Lift Every Voice and Sing has had a profound impact on individuals and communities around the world. Its powerful lyrics and uplifting melody have touched hearts and inspired countless individuals to persevere in the face of adversity. The song continues to be performed at various events, including church services, graduation ceremonies, and cultural celebrations, where it serves as a reminder of the progress made in the fight for equality and justice.
Lift Every Voice and Sing, as performed by Kirk Franklin, is a timeless anthem that encapsulates the spirit of faith, hope, and unity. Its powerful message and rich history have made it an enduring symbol of resilience and a source of inspiration for individuals from all walks of life. As we lift our voices together in praise and celebration, may we be reminded of the unifying power of music and the unwavering hope found in our shared faith.
The Lyrics published in this page is meant for educational and personal use only.